Year 1 class 2020-2021 welcome message
We have missed you all so much and we can't wait to start the new school year with you. You will shine bright in all of your new learning in the year ahead.
'Learn, Live, Laugh and Love Ashurst'
Learn to be inspiring and make a difference to this world, we know how amazing you are,
Live with understanding and compassion for others, knowing we are all different and special in a community where equality stands tall,
Laugh and listen to the enjoyment of learning and excitement of everyone celebrating their achievements,
Love Ashurst, our special school and the hub of supportive staff, parents and children who aim high to be the best they can be.
Our new stars of Year 1!
Mrs L. Bibby
Mrs D. Edwards
Miss M. Hogg (pm)
Here are two wonderful stories for our current Year 1 class and for our new Year 1 class from September. You are all truly amazing and we are really missing you all. We hope you enjoy the stories, stay safe and enjoy the summer.
New Year 1 class from September 2020
Year 1 has been changed, so the way the room is set up may look a little different. However this will not change the active and engaging learning that always occurs in our classroom. We have added some additional areas to both play and learn in, and the Year 1 team are really excited to spend time with you in these areas. We have a wonderful cafe role play , a construction zone, a creative area, a maths area and a reading corner. We also have access to some additional outdoor space which is new to Year 1 from this year. We will as always strive from 'excellence everyday', trying our best, working together and learning with support in a caring environment. We have missed you all and we can't wait to welcome you back in September 2020 .
Take a look at Year 1, new for September 2020.
About the class...
In Year 1 we believe that children learn best when they feel safe and secure, in an environment where their ideas and opinions are valued.
We also believe that enjoying learning and having fun is key to their ability to succeed.
Therefore all of the lessons are interactive, exciting and engaging and involve the children in as many ways as possible.
The children also still have plenty of opportunities to learn through play while accessing our wonderful areas of continuous provision. We have areas such as a reading corner, numeracy area, writing area and role play.
We believe that a great resource can be each other so discussions and questioning are encouraged in all aspects to allow the children to learn from others to build up their own understanding.
Giving consideration to mental health and well-being is very important in Year 1. We work together with the children to create a classroom where all children can be happy and free from worry and anxieties. We support this by promoting positive self-talk and help children to build up their resilience and self-esteem. We always have the time to support children to deal with any difficulties that occur. This year we have sourced some wonderful new stories that we will be using to explore and support positive mental health and well-being.
Each child enters Year 1 at a different stage; some are ready for the National Curriculum, whereas others will require a little support to achieve the Foundation Stage Profile objectives from Reception.
To continue the learning journey we take assessments made in Reception and identify the next steps for each child.
We see every child as an individual, not just a year group. We understand that every child learns in a different way and has different interests and it is our aim to adapt our teaching to suit the children.
We encourage their independence throughout, allowing them to take ownership of their learning and achievements and to understand how to solve problems on their own.
What do we learn?
We have daily Read Write Inc, Numeracy and challenge curriculum sessions where we can work on our core skills.
Our writing is focused around a book that we are reading or a topic area and we produce some fantastic writing of our own linked to this work.
We teach most areas of the curriculum through the challenge curriculum where the different areas of the curriculum are linked through a common theme.
Important things to remember: -
- We have PE every Tuesday and Thursday – please ensure that your child attends school on this day in their PE kit (an indoor and outdoor PE kit with trainers or pumps) inline with our new guidance related to Covid-19.
- Home packets will be sent home every Friday and need to be returned the following Wednesday – please ensure you bring it back on time.
- Two reading books will be sent home. One will be a book that your child is capable of reading independently and the another will be more challenging which your child may need some support with. A letter will be issued in September with more details and photos of the two different types of books.
- Spellings are provided every Friday and tested the following Thursday - please ensure your child learns these spellings at home. We recommend little and often.
Year 1 Long Term Plan 2020-2021
Year 1 Covid-19 (Home Learning)
'Gap Learning Packs' have been issued at the end of summer term to support your child in preparation for the September 2020 start. These are in addition to previous packs sent out and the online learning provided below and on the Home Learning Page in Parent Zone. We really value the amazing work you are doing at home with your child/children.
Please access the home learning tasks below to support continued home learning.
- Click on the link for a variety of websites to help parents and children with home learning Home Learning Resources - Websites Link
- Click on the link below to access daily online lessons and a timetable https://www.thenational.academy/
- Click the link here for new Government home learning websites: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-online-education-resources/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-online-education-resources-for-home-education
- Maths Summer Term 2 lessons Please click on the link below to help support your child with maths learning at home https://classroomsecrets.co.uk/free-home-learning-packs/
- Please click on the link below to help support your child with maths learning at home. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/
History online learning https://www.mrtdoeshistory.com/home-learning-packs
Science Learning- click on the link:- https://www.ase.org.uk/ase-coronavirus-hub-primary-remote-learning-resources
- Online Safety Learning - Welcome to Thinkuknow - Click the link to access activities about online safety and supporting parents at home.
Mental Health and Well-being resources - see the home learning page and the link below New resource to support mental health and well-being with your child as well as social stories.
Part Two Weekly Home Learning Tasks - From Monday 1st June
Take a look at our exciting learning in 2019-2020
Division in action
To help the children to understand new mathematical concept we often start be working practically.
Look at our wonderful project work.
Year 1 celebrated Chinese New Year by taking part in a traditional Chinese Lion Dance workshop.
Year 1 had a magical time on their trip to Tatton Park.
Take a look at our amazing project work.
Letters to Father Christmas
Year 1 had great fun whilst walking to the local post box to post their letters to Father Christmas.
Book Bus visit - sharing our love of reading
Take a look at the wonderful projects Year 1 have created.
Super Hero Day