Year Two class 2020-2021 welcome message
We have missed you all so much and we can't wait to start the new school year with you. You will shine bright in all of your new learning in the year ahead.
'Learn, Live, Laugh and Love Ashurst'
Learn to be inspiring and make a difference to this world, we know how amazing you are,
Live with understanding and compassion for others, knowing we are all different and special in a community where equality stands tall,
Laugh and listen to the enjoyment of learning and excitement of everyone celebrating their achievements,
Love Ashurst, our special school and the hub of supportive staff, parents and children who aim high to be the best they can be.
Our new stars of Year 2!
Year 2 staff
Miss K. Hillyer
Mrs P. Evans
To my current, wonderful Year 2 class and the amazing children who will be in my class in September, as our new Year 2 - a little story for you. I hope you enjoy it! We miss you all so much and can't wait to see you in September 2020.
Being Year 2 in September 2020
There may be some changes to how the classroom looks in September but everything else about our wonderful school remains the same. Our desks may be placed differently but we are still a school who strives for 'excellence everyday' within a nurturing ethos unpinned by our 5 important values: caring, sharing, independence, respect and determination. The Year 2 team are here to reassure you, support you, and help you reach your full potential. We have missed you greatly and can't wait to see you all back in September 2020. Keep looking at the website for more details about your new class and for photographs of how you room will look in September, when you become Year 2. You will be amazing! For now, stay safe, enjoy time with your families and get excited for the wonderful learning ahead.
About the class...
Year 2 - Mrs R King
Learning Assistants - Miss K. Hillyer and Mrs Evans
Year Two is a warm and welcoming classroom where lots of exciting learning takes place. We aim for all lessons to be interactive, exciting and engaging. Throughout Year Two, children continue to develop their independence. They are given lots of responsibilities and they challenge themselves to achieve their full potential! With support from teachers and family at home, the children work hard on their goals. Year Two is alive with reading! We take every opportunity to read. Children are supported to grow a love of reading, becoming readers who read for pleasure and purpose. Mental health and well-being are high priority in Year 2. We work hard to support the children to be happy and free from worry and anxieties. We promote positive self-talk and resilience and guide children through any difficulties they face. We use wonderful stories to explore themes linked to mental health and well-being.
Each child enters Year Two at a different stage. Therefore we treat every child as an individual and plan to cater for their individual needs. We understand that every child learns in a different way and has different interests and it is our aim to adapt our teaching to suit the children. We encourage their independence throughout, allowing them to take ownership of their learning and achievements and to understand how to solve problems on their own.
What do we learn?
We have daily maths and English/SPAG lessons. Our English work links to a whole class text. We produce some fabulous writing linked to our text. We have reading lessons to help us work on year group reading objectives. We love finding evidence in reading to prove our points! We have daily opportunities to read across the curriculum. Staff will make comments in our reading records and support us with changing our books. We learn to read then read to learn!
We have an action packed curriculum with lots of exciting learning. We aim to grow scientists, historians, artists , musicians and much more! We make links with different subjects across the curriculum and aim to apply our maths and English skills in every subject.
Important things to remember: -
- We have PE every Monday and Wednesday– please ensure that your child attends school on this day in their PE kit (an indoor and outdoor PE kit with trainers or pumps) inline with our new guidance related to Covid-19.
- Homework is set on a Friday and is due back on the following Tuesday – please ensure you bring it back on time.
- Reading books are changed as soon as the children have finished a book - we don't wait! - Please ensure your child brings their reading book every day as they start each day with quiet reading. If there are any issues please don't hesitate to ask.
- Spellings are provided every Monday and tested the following Friday - please ensure your child learns these spellings at home. We recommend little and often.
Year 2 Long Term Plan 2020-2021
Year 2 Covid-19 (Home Learning)
'Gap Learning Packs' have been issued at the end of summer term to support your child in preparation for the September 2020 start. These are in addition to previous packs sent out and the online learning provided below and on the Home Learning Page in Parent Zone. We really value the amazing work you are doing at home with your child/children.
Please access the home learning tasks below to support continued home learning.
- Click on the link for a variety of websites to help parents and children with home learning Home Learning Resources - Websites Link
- Click on the link below to access daily online lessons and a timetable https://www.thenational.academy/
- Click the link here for new Government home learning websites: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-online-education-resources/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-online-education-resources-for-home-education
- Maths Summer Term 2 lessons Please click on the link below to help support your child with maths learning at home https://classroomsecrets.co.uk/free-home-learning-packs/
- Please click on the link below to help support your child with maths learning at home. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/
History online learning https://www.mrtdoeshistory.com/home-learning-packs
Science Learning- click on the link:- https://www.ase.org.uk/ase-coronavirus-hub-primary-remote-learning-resources
- Online Safety Learning - Welcome to Thinkuknow - Click the link to access activities about online safety and supporting parents at home.
Mental Health and Well-being resources - see the home learning page and the link below New resource to support mental health and well-being with your child as well as social stories.
Part Two Weekly Home Learning Tasks - From Monday 1st June
Take a look at a look at some of the exciting learning from 2019-2020
Liverpool World Museum
Year Two went on their first trip this year to the World Museum in Liverpool, to enhance our history topic ‘Dinosaurs’ and our science topic ‘habitats’. This forms part of our wonderful curriculum enrichment offer at Ashurst, bringing learning to life! During our visit, we had a workshop called ‘What’s that dinosaur?’ With a bit of help, we could identify and name the key anatomical features. By looking at similarities and differences we discovered how animals can be grouped together or classified, including grouping animals according to diet, behaviour or physical features. We even got to feel some fossils and some dinosaur poo! What a brilliant day we had!
Finding 'pulse' with the glockenspiels!
Book Bus Visit to Ashurst
Another visit from the Book Bus today had us very excited! We were thrilled to see the shelves stacked with our favourite authors and titles. Enjoy your new books everybody and be sure to make some recommendations to each other!
Maths games - place value
We love playing games on the ipad to help secure our mathematical fluency. Go to www.topmarks.co.uk and give it a try!
Working in science with University of Manchester
What a brilliant electrical engineering workshop with a real visiting scientist! With a little help, we explored electrical engineering by making our own electrical circuits. Things really lit up in Year Two today! We definitely have some future bright sparks in the world of engineering.