Year Two class
'Learn, Live, Laugh and Love Ashurst'
Learn to be inspiring and make a difference to this world, we know how amazing you are,
Live with understanding and compassion for others, knowing we are all different and special in a community where equality stands tall,
Laugh and listen to the enjoyment of learning and excitement of everyone celebrating their achievements,
Love Ashurst, our special school and the hub of supportive staff, parents and children who aim high to be the best they can be.
Year 2 staff
High Level Learning Assistant/Qualified Teacher
Miss E. Collier
Mrs M Thompson
Mrs P Evans
About the class...
Year 2 - Mrs R King
Learning Assistants - Miss Collier (HLTA) and Mrs Thompson
Year Two is a warm and welcoming classroom where lots of exciting learning takes place. We aim for all lessons to be interactive, exciting and engaging. Throughout Year Two, children continue to develop their independence. They are given lots of responsibilities and they challenge themselves to achieve their full potential! With support from teachers and family at home, the children work hard on their goals. Year Two is alive with reading! We take every opportunity to read. Children are supported to grow a love of reading, becoming readers who read for pleasure and purpose. Mental health and well-being are high priority in Year 2. We work hard to support the children to be happy and free from worry and anxieties. We promote positive self-talk and resilience and guide children through any difficulties they face. We use wonderful stories to explore themes linked to mental health and well-being.
Each child enters Year Two at a different stage. Therefore we treat every child as an individual and plan to cater for their individual needs. We understand that every child learns in a different way and has different interests and it is our aim to adapt our teaching to suit the children. We encourage their independence throughout, allowing them to take ownership of their learning and achievements and to understand how to solve problems on their own.
What do we learn?
We have daily maths and English/SPAG lessons. We have exciting books on our class reading spine which give children a breadth and depth of literature. We use the Talk for Writing approach, which starts with oral rehearsal moving into innovated pieces of writing and finally independent pieces of writing. We have reading lessons to help us work on year group reading objectives. We love finding evidence in reading to prove our points! We have daily opportunities to read across the curriculum. Staff will make comments in our reading records and support us with changing our books.
We have an action packed curriculum with lots of exciting learning. We work as scientists, historians, artists , musicians and much more! We make links with different subjects across the curriculum and aim to apply our maths and English skills in every subject, through a subject disciplinary appraoch.
Important things to remember for September 2022: -
- Registration takes place at 8:45 am and the school day ends at 3:15pm - your child will enter and leave from the hall door (as in Year 1)
- You may wish to provide a healthy snack for your child to eat at 10:05am playtime or your child can have a piece of fruit provided by school. Lunch will be at 12:00pm.
- Each child can have their own water bottle on their desk, please provide these with their name on.
- PE We have PE every Wednesday and Friday– please ensure that your child attends school on these days in their PE kit. On these days children must wear the following PE uniform: Black jogging bottoms with the new logo, or black sports leggings, white PE tops , black hoody tops . Or a Summer PE kit : the usual red shorts and the white PE top.
- Reading books will be changed every Monday. Please ensure your child has their reading book in school each Monday. Reading records will be provided for you to comment on your child's reading. We will ask for these to be sent into school on set days so we can celebrate the reading taking place at home. We will inform you of the dates for reading records to be sent into school via the newsletter. We expect every child to read at home every night to develop good habits and make the best progress. Thank you in advance for your support with this.
- Homework: Homework will be set weekly and will usually consist of an English and a maths activity but may also relate to other subjects. Homework will be set on a Friday, and will be expected back in the following Friday. As part of weekly homework, a task will be set on Spag.com. This is an online programme and can be accessed here: www.spag.com Children will access the site online at home. Passwords will be provided. Spag.com will begin midway through Autumn 1.
- Spellings will be given every Friday in the form of a worksheet. Worksheets must be sent back into school the following Friday. Please support your child in learning these spellings at home. We recommend little and often.
- Topic webs will be uploaded onto this class page in the first week of each half term. Topic webs will inform you of the learning taking place and will provide a list of project homework activities to complete at home. We are looking forward to you emailing in, or posting onto Seesaw, photos of your wonderful topic work for our class page on the website.
- We continue to use Seesaw to set home learning tasks and will provide feedback about your child's work. We will also use this platform to provide key information about school and to celebrate your child's achievements. We look forward to working together with our parents and carers to ensure a successful and happy year for all children.
SATs information 2022/2023
Below is some information for parents/carers regarding Year 2 SATs in May 2023. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs King or one of the Year 2 team.
Year 2 Long Term Plan 2022-2023
Year 2 Topic Webs
Useful Phonics Websites
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo7fbLgY2oA_cFCIg9GdxtQ - free phonics films for parents
What a huge success the Year 1 and 2 Nativity performance was. The children worked extremely hard to fulfill their roles and they showed their dedication when saying their lines and singing the songs. We are proud of you!
Autumn 2022 Learning
Our writing celebration wall!
Is writing better than the last piece? If so, we 'peg it'! Year 2 are now able to articulate why their writing should be pegged on our celebration wall. Children discuss with staff what they can do better than the last piece of writing. Children are amazing at identifying their strengths and next steps. Writing progress in Year 2 is incredible! Keep it up super stars! We can't wait to see your work 'pegged'!
Take a look at the recent work we have had "pegged".
Talk for Writing
In English, we have been writing a recount. We wrote our recount about our trip to the post office to post our letters to Father Christmas. Take a look at some of our amazing recounts!
In Maths we have been working hard to add two numbers together. Sometimes we have to add two numbers together by crossing 10. The equipment has really helped us to solve our calculations.
We are designers!
We have designed and produced a pouch to hold some of our items. We worked extremely hard to learn how to thread a needle and do a running stitch in order to sew our material together. We created 4 designs for our pouch and picked our favourite one to make. Take a look at our creations below.
This term in RE we have been exploring the religion of 'Chrisianity'. We have explored our enquiry question of "How do Christian's protect God's creation". We understand how God created the world for Christian's and what Christian's do to protect this. We also explored the "Harvest Festival" and Year 2 kindly donated items of food. Our local food bank were overwhelmed by the generosity of our Year 2 children.
Take a look at us hunting for signs of habitats in our school grounds. We worked together to search for signs of animals, including mini-beasts and thought about where we should look. We looked in cracks in the walls, within the grass and the bushes, and under pots. When we got back in class we talked about our findings. We were surprised how many animals we found.
Music in Year 2
We have been learning to play the glockenspiels.
Spring 2023 Learning!
English - Talk for Writing
Year 2 have been learning how to write a good character description. We used the model text of "The Paper Bag Princess" to help us with our journey. We investigated the text to see what features the writer uses. We added these to our toolkit to help us with our writing. We have used similes, speech, commas in a list and 'who' and 'which' to add more detail to describe our characters. Take a look at us performing the model text below. Enjoy reading our hot tasks of our new invention of a character description!
In Maths this term we are looking at shapes. We have explored 2D and 3D shapes and become familiar with the shape names. We have looked closely at 2D shapes to identify how many sides and vertices each shape has.
This term in Art we are exploring the work of Rachel Dein. We have investigated the work of Rachel Dein and realised she uses a lot of natural objects when printing. Over this term we will be developing different printing techniques from making rubbings to printing with foam.
In Geography we are exploring the question "Where does our food come from?" Using a map we have located our local high street and identified the route we will take from Ashurst Primary School to Chain Lane shops. We have used directional language to describe this route.
This term we are looking at "spreadsheets". We have explored what a spreadsheet is and how we use them. We have created our own shop using a spreadsheet. We combined computing with maths and we selected the correct amount of coins we need to pay for each item.
Year 2 have been exploring 'Relationships' this term. We have been looking at what makes a happy family and what qualities we would like to have to make a good friend. We have explored 'good and worry secrets' and have discussed how people might feel if they are keeping a worry secret. We also looked at a 'mending friendship's chart'. This has helped us to come up with a positive solution of dealing with friendship breakups. It gives us time to STOP, THINK, and to create a plan. We noticed this was similar to our 'control signals' chart in PATHs.
Book recommendations for Year 2
Follow the link below to view a wealth of recommended books for your child in Year 2.
You will never be short of book suggestions with this site. Children we hope you find something you will love.
'The Reader Teacher' - Visit this site to view 100 'must reads' for YEAR 2 https://www.thereaderteacher.com/year